Monday, November 1, 2010

Auditions & More

web counter
Hit counter provided by www.website-hit-counters.com .

Well, I hope everyone had a nice Halloween weekend. I went to LA to audition at CBS studios in Studio City for a short film. I received an email invitation and got a copy of the script. I had to memorize 8 pages of dialogue for the audition on Saturday. I prepared mentally, got up early on Saturday. Got ready and went through my wardrobe. As the role called for a teacher, I found a lavendar long sleeved shirt and wore that along with a navy blue jumper. I wore black stockings and black shoes. Now that I looked the part, onto the studio!

I arrived on time and checked in with the security officers. Parked the car and walked in the building. Found a ladies room for a quick look see to see if I looked okay. Found a seat outside the waiting room and there was a young Asian woman. I thought the role called for Hispanic? Yes, but this is what I am running into lately. Jobs are so hard to find that this is occurring more and more often. Oh well, whoever is the better actor gets the role. So I think I did a good job. I read through it once with the director/writer and he said very good. And then I find out that the job is non-union and non-paying! WTH

And then on Sunday, I get a phone call to come audition on Monday morning for a theatre project that I submitted myself to on Mandy.com This role was for a Mom. It is theatre and musical theatre at that. Well, I do have a theatrical background but haven't done musical theatre in awhile. So I did some research on the project and it actually sounds really interesting. Today I had second thoughts on this theatre project and decided not to go after all. When I left a message I was a little worried but I think I made the right call.

I spoke to the artistic director of the Breath of Fire Latina Theater in Santa Ana and she wants me to reprise my role of the Latina reporter, Gertrudis Hernandez in the play, the Medea Complex. This time we are doing the play at the South Coast Reperatory theater in Orange County. I am very excited because she asked me to play the role again, and secondly, because the South Coast has a very good reputation. We will do the play at the end of February and the early part of March, 2011. Yay! It's a great role and approximately 65 pages of dialogue. If you have ever done live theatre, you know how challenging it can be. But it is the best training for an actor. If you can do live theatre, you can do television!

I have to be very picky and choosy right now when it comes to the decisions I make on my career. I have paid my dues and now am ready to choose professional acting gigs. Come on, universe. Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment