Saturday, November 20, 2010

Audition Notice at 11:45 PM

web counter
Hit counter provided by http://www.website-hit-counters.com/ .

One of my favorite pastimes is watching the Saturday morning marathon of America's Next Top Model. I like it because you never know what kind of craziness will occur. Modeling is very competitive and so is acting. If you don't believe in your talent no one else will either.

I received a telephone text at 11:45 pm on Thursday night. I was requested to come and audition for a tv program at 9:00 am the next morning. When you are in this business opportunities come and go so quickly that you must be prepared at all times. Be like the boy scouts and always be prepared. My clothes are clean and hung up ready to grab and go.

I downloaded the script which was to be done in English and in Spanish. I printed out the directions. I had extra head shots and had my outfit picked out and hung in the bathroom. The next morning I arrived early and reviewed my lines. I went in and did my thing. The casting director said I like you, I'm going to suggest we hire you. We are doing wardrobe this afternoon and we are shooting this weekend, are you available? Yes, I answered. Of course I said yes.

And then I waited and waited and no call for wardrobe. No calls at all. Finally, at 4:00 pm I called the casting office and they said someone else was hired for the tv show. Darn! But you know that is show biz. You have to just be ready, be prepared and do your best. I know that I did the best job I could and I put myself out there. I also know that a new casting director who didn't know me before well, she knows me now.

Are there some things you are really good at? Sure, we all have our likes and dislikes. Don't do the same thing over and over again with the stuff where you excel. Work on the stuff that is difficult and you will get better. I took three semesters of Spanish in college but didn't get a chance to use it. Now I'm using it all the time. I read, write and speak Spanish all the time and have been getting better.

Being an actor means learning and growing. Never be afraid to try something new. As a disabled actor there are some things I cannot do. However, there are many other things I can do and I can do them well. Accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative. Same with people.

Keep negative people and negative things out of your life. Surround yourself with positive things and positive people. Life is too hard to go it alone. Competition is fierce. I don't compete with others. I only compete with myself. If I had a bad audition, I don't beat myself up over it. That is simply a waste of time. Learn from your mistakes, do better the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment