Monday, May 24, 2010

There's No Place Like Home

web counter
Hit counter provided by http://www.website-hit-counters.com/ .

We just returned from a trip back home to Ohio. My son, John is being stationed in Italy and we attended the family reunion/going away party for him. It was so wonderful to see him again and his family.

The time was hectic to travel but we arrived safely in Detroit and drove into Toledo. The area looks better than the last time we were there two years ago for a funeral. This time we went back under much better circumstances. We stayed with my sister, Linda in her home near Maumee. The children stayed with their cousin Niki in their beautiful home. It was so nice to catch up with family and eat home cooking again!

We ate twice at the fabulous Tony Packo's cafe. They have the best hot dogs and chili ever as featured on the TV show, "Mash". We also visited with the entire Zion clan at Max & Erma's restaurant.

Mom & Dad looked great and are eager to visit us again in California. The kids enjoyed visiting with their cousins. It's amazing to see how my nieces and nephews are now parents with children of their own. The family continues to grow. I do wish I could say they are growing and prospering. But the truth is the Ohio/Michigan area still continues to be plagued with no jobs and many home foreclosures. Marriages break up and childhood dreams seem to vanquish into Neverland. My heart aches for them but there is nothing I can do. We all make choices in this life and then we have to live with the choices we have made. Many times we don't get a second chance to make things better.

California still suffers from the same thing but when the sun is shining and folks are still eating at restaurants, getting spa treatments, gambling in Vegas and making movies, it seems that recovery here will come sooner rather than later.

I hope that things will turn around soon. I hope that I'll be in the financial position of being able to fly my parents out again soon and treat them to a wonderful weekend in San Francisco. They are in their 80s now and we don't know how much longer they will be with us. My responsibilities are to my husband and my children.

Leaving a home to find new opportunities in a different part of the country takes courage and fortitude. It is the stuff that made this country what it is today. Is it difficult being away from family? Yes, but this is a choice we made many years ago and a choice we live with today. We are happy and our children seem to be happy and they must now go after things in life that will fulfill their needs. I can't make those choices for them but I hope that they see that their life is in their hands and they have the power to have choices. Education is the key. Finding your bliss is the key. Finding someone to love and to love you is the key. Taking care of your body and your spiritual soul is the key. Giving to others is the key. I have learned many things going back home to Ohio. I miss my family and I miss my friends but there truly is no place like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment