Sunday, May 16, 2010

Thanks, Jack







web counter
Hit counter provided by http://www.website-hit-counters.com/ .

I am not ashamed to say that I loved getting up early on Saturday morning to watch cartoons with my brothers & sisters. When you only have one television set and 7 brothers and sisters negotiations must be made or there will be blood! Just kidding, but my family knew that I had to watch that cute boy, Jack Wild in H.R. Pufnstuf every Saturday.

The first time I saw "Oliver" I was in love with Jack. I read Oliver Twist and saw the previews to Oliver coming to our local theater. I love musicals and I believe at the time I was babysitting or raking leaves for personal money to buy records and go to movies. I just didn't ask my parents for money because I knew the answer would be no. So we earned our money and good Catholic school girls that we were, we did our homework first, then our chores before we could ask to go out to the movies. Now I didn't know anyone who loves musicals as much as I did, so I believe I did go see this movie by myself.

Well, to be 16 years old and to be nominated for Best Supporting Actor is not too shabby. Jack was amazing and shortly thereafter was hired to be in H.R. Pufnstuf. I followed his career by buying the teen magazines. I read how he was discovered playing soccer in his neighborhood. I read how he came to Hollywood with his brother, Arthur. Where were his parents, I wondered? Guess they stayed in England.

Jack Wild was featured in the teen magazines and he talked about Hollywood, girls and just being Jack. I remember seeing a photo of him sitting under the Santa Monica Pier sign and thinking, I'm going to go there someday! I remember his laughter and his shaggy hair. I remember buying his beautiful records and going to see the movie, H. R. Pufnstuf.

I wrote fan letters and even joined the Jack Wild fan club. I screamed with joy when I received a postcard from the fan club with an autographed photo. Perhaps the joy of being a teenager, the dreams of Hollywood and a boy named Jack is what I recall the most.

Jack taught me that we can all dream. Jack shared his world with us and thus opened up a new world outside of Toledo, Ohio. I continued my love of acting, musical theater, british accents, travel and the joy of laughter.

I frequently travel to Los Angeles for auditions and for work. On one particular sunny day after an audition, I had some time and went to Santa Monica. I parked my car and walked under that Santa Monica Pier sign. I walked all the way to the end of the pier and rode the huge ferris wheel. I looked out into the beautiful blue Pacific Ocean.

Jack Wild died several years ago from cancer. He lost the ability to speak and we shall no longer hear his beautiful voice. I was sad to hear that his health suffered after years of smoking and alcohol abuse. I wish I could have met Jack at least once. But he did bring joy to many and brought hope and dreams into my life. He showed us how beautiful life could be and how dreams can come true. And all I can say is, thanks Jack!

No comments:

Post a Comment