Sunday, February 27, 2011

What's Wrong With Asking for Help?

web counter
Hit counter provided by http://www.website-hit-counters.com/ .

There is so much uproar going on in the world right now from Unions and Wisconsin to Libya and gas prices. One can get truly overwhelmed and I am feeling a need to get away from computers, cell phones and Facebook. I want to get back to nature, family, my cats, and making some home cooked meals.

I have had a hectic time lately of LA, Santa Barbara, Las Vegas and everywhere in between. I love working but sometimes it can get crazy. I reconnected with some friends through acting classes and it feels good to learn again and create. I am challenging myself more and more and although I did not book every job I hoped to book, I am still working and that is a good thing.

I got to thinking though about asking for help. Awhile ago I was down in a funk and not knowing where to turn, I asked for help. A friend of mine who is a pretty well known actor told me that I should not be asking for help. I wondered why the hell not? There is nothing wrong with asking for help. Some may think that it is too needy, that I am showing that I am too vulnerable. Asking for a job is one thing. Asking you to solve my life's problems is something entirely different.

We all get in times of strife where it does seem hopeless. And there are times when financially you cannot get new head shots, or pay for an acting class even though you know it would be beneficial. Being an actor takes a financial commitment. It takes classes and training. Head shots and promotion. I am a writer too, so I need to keep up those skills as well. I don't like it when someone asks me for a job. But sometimes you have to speak up if you need money to pay for a place to live or for a meal. You have to earn that money, not just have someone hand you some cash.

What I don't have respect for is the person who wants a free meal, free room and board and wants to tell you how to live your life. Excuse me? Everything I own in my home has been paid for by my hard work. I have worked in hospitals, temp agencies, banks, government offices, small companies and large corporations. I have sold cosmetics, jewelry, shoes and mortgage loans. Believe me, I know how to work.

Ask for advice if you need it. Ask for help if you need it. But ultimately you are where you are because of the decisions you have made in your life. Surround yourself with positive, uplifting people. Eliminate bad people, negative people from your life. You'll be much happier at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment