Monday, August 3, 2009

What's Your Dream?

web counter
Hit counter provided by www.website-hit-counters.com .

Do you have one? Are you going for your dreams? Do you dream or have you stopped dreaming? I have a friend who said she was awakened because she was panicky about her dreams. They were so big that they literally woke her up. Sometimes that will happen. Your unconscious self will talk to you in your sleep and point you to the right way of achieving your dreams.

That actually happened to me too. I was fast asleep in little Toledo, Ohio and I woke next to my husband in a panic. I knew, I absolutely knew that we had to get out of town and move out West. I knew that I was wasting my life there and that if I really wanted to achieve my dreams that I'd have to leave.

Now for a Latina, to leave your family and your childhood friends is very tough. But I knew I was on the right path once I left and moved to California. When I was starting out as an actor I joined local community theater and started at the bottom as a book holder. My job was to go to all the rehearsals and help the actors if they forgot a line. They would call out, 'line' and I would give them their next line in the play. After awhile, I knew I could be an actor too.

I moved onto chorus work in several musicals. I wasn't a good enough actor or dancer to play a Principle role. But that way okay because I was learning the ropes. And it was amazing how some folks let their role get to their head. And part of me was thinking, this isn't Broadway people, it's little Toledo, Ohio. But I learned to work hard and landed several roles. I even took some acting classes at the University of Toledo.

I met a really nice man who worked for the local television station and his name was Jim Rudes. He was the first person I met who actually said I had talent and he was very encouraging. The other person who encouraged me was our Music teacher in high school. His name was Gordon Simpson.

When I moved out to California I started working as a background extra and learned the film business. I was in the pilot episode of The L Word. I worked on the film, Top Dog and The Virgin of Juarez and Sueno. I worked on Little Black Book and Six Feet Under. I eventually landed roles in some student films for Chapman University film school. I got roles in industrial films and worked as a Production intern for a director.

I started doing commercials and worked on a commercial for UPS, and medical industrial films for the American Cancer Society. I auditioned for and got an agent. I landed a national commercial for Capitol One. I've met some great people along the way.

I started writing and started having my articles published. I am currently writing my first novel and tomorrow I am filming again. So that's my dream. To continue writing and being a working actor. I've even written original material and performed them onstage in Hollywood.

Not bad for a gal from Toledo, Ohio to Hollywood. And I'm not stopping, either. You may find me in an acting class. Or I may interview you for an upcoming article. You can google my name and see some of my accomplishments. I think about all those naysayers in Toledo who said you want to be an actress? Damn right, I do. So look out world, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment