Thursday, August 6, 2009

Follow the Yellow Brick Road

web counter
Hit counter provided by www.website-hit-counters.com .

I'm so excited! We filmed the Jeopardy promos on Tuesday. And when I arrived at Sony Studios, I saw a sign on the lot that said Columbia Pictures. When we arrived at the Security gate we were taken by golf cart to our stage. As we were being driven on the lot, we were told that this lot was the former MGM lot! How exciting! They told us this is where they filmed 'The Wizard of Oz'.

I looked around me at the hills and the blue sky and I imagined all the stars like Judy Garland and Clark Gable, Joan Crawford and Ava Gardner reporting to the very same lot. It was a dream come true.

When I was a teen in high school, I always auditioned for high school musical productions. I was a dancer in one production, a chorus member in another. And finally, I played the lead role in our production of 'My Fair Lady'. When we graduate we are supposed to write a where are they now 20 years after graduation. I wrote that I was working on a film at MGM Studios. Is that wild or what? See, who said dreams don't come true?

We were there for 5-1/2 hours. We didn't get a chance to meet Alex. But, Vanna White was there. And some of other actors saw Cameron Diaz. You never know who you are going to see.

In the older days, someone saw potential in you and would give you a contract to be part of the studio talent. In one sense being a part of a studio meant you got some real on-the-job training. They taught you to dance, to sing, how to pose. How to answer questions with the press. All that stuff. But then they tried to control your personal life, too. Now we are pretty much on our own -- left to our own devices.

What a history of that studio. So now I have worked on the Gower lot, Universal Studios lot, Raleigh Studios and now Sony. Look out Warner Brothers, you're next!

No comments:

Post a Comment