Monday, January 10, 2011

I Will Join

web counter
Hit counter provided by www.website-hit-counters.com .

I was so excited when I woke up this morning. I couldn't wait to grab my cup of coffee so I could be wide awake when I called the AFTRA office. I am ready to join and be a full member of the actors union! It is an exciting time to be an actor. I remember when I first moved here and started out as a background extra. I didn't really know anyone and so I learned so much through trial and error.

My background is in community theater and Shakespeare in the Park. Television acting and film is very different from live theater. So it took me awhile. After some training and auditioning I finally got some roles. It has been several years later and now here I am eligible to join SAG. Anyone can be an AFTRA actor, you just have to pay the dues. However, I wanted to do it the right way by auditioning and getting roles.

It is very exciting to go out on auditions, even non-union auditions and give it your all. It is also very exciting to get that telephone call from the casting director who says, congratulations you won the role. I never get tired of hearing that. I've heard stories of some gals who do unscrupulous things to get a SAG voucher or two. But of course, they never last because they have no talent. I would rather pay my dues and earn my way into the union. And now I have!

I received a message today from a young lady that I worked with last summer. She knows of someone who is hiring and asked me if I was working. Nope, I wish. And she asked me to send her my resume and she will forward it to someone else. Yay! I was just putting it out into the universe that I need some $$$$ and a job and then she contacted me.

Be careful what you think, what you say and with your attitude. I had a disappointment today and I was sad but I refused to let it deter me from what I wish to accomplish. And then I saw Jim Carrey on the Actors Studio and he was so positive and confident. And he said that even though he went through some tough times too, he always knew that he would be successful. He was so inspirational. I was never a big fan of his until I saw him in the Truman Show. Comedy is so difficult (for me) and he can do comedic acting as well as drama.

I am staying positive, Jim and to the universe: yes, I am ready. Ready to work. Ready to learn. Ready to meet new people. Ready to earn some good money. Ready to take some chances. Ready to travel. I know who I am and I am ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment