Sunday, February 14, 2010

Gigantic!

web counter
Hit counter provided by www.website-hit-counters.com .


I submitted myself for some featured background work in the new television series for Teen Nick's "Gigantic". I worked on that show several months ago. It was so nice to check in and get a Union voucher instead of Non-Union. I enjoyed working with the crew, everyone was so professional on the set. And the food was fantastic! So you can imagine how thrilled I was to be called back to work on the set again.

I understand the show will be out sometime in April. Now for those of you out there that don't understand the film industry, background extras are a starting point for many actors. The pay is low $64 for an 8 hour day. But many times the production does run over 8 hours so now they have to pay you Overtime. Background work is a good place to start because you get to watch how everything works. You definitely see a pecking order from Director to 1st director, 2nd director down to the Production Assistants. And you see the lead actors (stars), co-stars, recurring actors, featured actors and finally background actors. Background doesn't have any speaking lines but are necessary to fill up the space and to set the mood.

I have done my share of background work and while interesting, I did want to move up to a featured extra, more money -- in more scenes and we get treated better. Also, sometimes we get extra camera time and they may even give us a line or two which is great. I would love to be a regular recurring actor on a television series.

One of the first things we did on Thursday (shooting day) was get into character. We were supposed to be working on a film something like "Lord of the Rings" and so we had renaissance costumes. My skirt was too long, my pantyhose was too short and my shoes were too tight. But we have to smile and keep on acting. I'm glad there was no photo taken of me because I was feeling fat! It's true I have gained some weight and oh, now I have to lose it!

It's funny how sometimes we have this mental picture in our head of what we look like and I still see that beautiful 19 year old girl that met her husband. Curvy shape, long dark hair and beautiful skin. Now there are more curves than I would like. My hair is cut shorter and my skin is needing more care these days. Oh well, that is life.

I was in Vegas on Tuesday & Wednesday visiting my brother who had guests, my parents and my sister. It was great to see them again and we had a good time catching up. We drove home on Wednesday evening. I got up so early on Thursday, drove to the set and worked all day.

On Saturday, I met with my Agent and we had a nice long chat. I am going to take some new headshots and take some more classes. I think that will help me so much to not only go on more auditions, but to go on callbacks and book some of these jobs. I am trying to remain positive.

I just feel like the whole world is spinning so fast and I wish I could slow it down. I can't even say I need a vacation because my home is like a vacation. I like to keep it clean. I like it quiet so I can think. And once it warms up again, I will be working on my laptop next to my pool. Gotta love California.

I haven't been writing for the magazine so much lately. I just really feel like I need to devote this time to me right now. Perhaps I will do some volunteer work to make a difference and get out of my head. That can only help me be a better actor right?

Gigantic -- coming soon to Teen Nick -- in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment